ICM is governed by an International Council, the decision-making body of the organisation, which develops ICM’s Triennial Strategy at each Triennial Council Meeting. The Council appoints Board members according to processes set out in the ICM Constitution (Article 17, last updated in 2009. The Confederation also works under a set of By-laws, last updated in June 2017. The elected President, Vice President and a Treasurer form the Executive Committee of the Board that works closely with the Chief Executive to achieve the ICM's Triennial Strategy.
There are 132 ICM Member Associations in 113 Countries representing over 500,000 midwives.
Two Members from each Member Association and the Board.
10 members from six regions: Africa - Anglophone and Francophone (2), Americas - North America and Caribbean and Latin America (2), Western-Pacific (1), Eastern Mediterranean Region (1), South East Asia (1), and Europe - Northern, Central and Southern (3).
The Board includes the Executive Committee: President, Vice-President, and Treasurer. The Chief Executive attends Board meetings in an ex-officio capacity with no voting rights. Board Members are appointed for a three-year term, which can be renewed only once.
Board members are:
- Franka Cadée (President) since June 2017
- Mary Kirk (Vice-President) since June 2017
- Ingela Wiklund (Treasurer) since June 2014
- Jemima Dennis-Antwi (Anglophone Africa) since June 2014
- Fatoumata S Maiga Dicko (Francophone Africa) since June 2017
- Emmanuelle Hébert (North America and the Caribbean) since June 2017
- Sandra Oyarzo Torres (Latin America) since June 2014
- Hatsumi Taniguchi (Western Pacific) since June 2017
- Rafat Jan (Eastern Meditteranean) since June 2014
- Emi Nurjasmi Indomo (South East Asia) since June 2017
- Trude Thommesen (Northern Europe) since June 2017
- Serena Debonnet (Cental Europe) since June 2014
- Rita Borg Xuereb (Southern Europe) since June 2014
The ICM Head Office is based The Hague, the Netherlands.
The Head Office team includes:
- Chief Executive, Dr Sally Pairman
- Lead Midwife Advisor, Ann Yates
- Programme and Development Director, Mike Fawcett
- Midwife Advisor, Dr Florence West
- Midwife Advisor, Martha Bokosi (based in Malawi)
- Midwife Advisor, Liliane Ingabire (based in Rwanda)
- Project Coordinator, Shantanu Garg
- Communications Manager, Sagal Ali
- Membership Coordinator, Charlotte Renard
- Governance Officer and Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive, Isabel Skukan
- Administrative Assistant, Sigrid Engström
- Communications and Operations Assistant, Viviana Cubilos
- Finance Manager, Hans van Dongen
- Project Manager (SMS Project), Shree Mandke (Consultant)
There are four committees that advise the Board.
The ICM Education Standing Committee promotes the international standardization of midwifery education to support the development and expansion of high quality and effective undergraduate and post graduate midwifery education programmes. It also oversees the production of the resources required to support these standards and their effective implementation internationally.
The ICM Regulation Standing Committee focuses on the development and support of regulatory systems that ensure midwifery practice is defined, regulation is in place, practice and education standards are met, midwives are registered/licensed, and midwifery practice is accountable to the public/society. Professional regulation can be defined as the acceptance of responsibility for maintaining standards and practicing within the limits of one’s competence.
The ICM Research Standing Committee and its Research Advisory Network (RAN) provide ICM’s member associations with up to date information on all aspects of midwifery practice, education and service. It plays a key role in the development of the ICM Triennial Congresses. Research is the foundation of midwifery’s Three Pillars and ongoing education and research are the lifeblood of any vibrant profession.
Finance and Risk Commitee
The Finance and Risk Committee advise the Board on the discharge of its fiduciary responsibilities in resource management and governance.
Chair: ICM Treasurer, Ingela Wiklund
Finance Manager, Hans van Dongen
Chief Executive, Sally Pairman
Co-opted Board Member, Mary Kirk
Co-opted Board Member, Mike Fawcett
|Martin Groesz||Organisational management|
|Sjoerd van der Velde||Lawyer: employment law|
|Jeremy Webb||Geologist. UCL PhD candidate. Expert in climate change/ innovation/global leadership|
|Robin Willing||Sustainability/corporate responsiblity/operations/communication/capital management|
Scientific Professional Programme Committee
The Scientific Professional Programme Committee (SPPC) assesses and approves abstracts and completes the scientific programme for ICM Triennial Congresses.
Committee members (2017-2020)
- Debra Lewis, Co Chair (Trinidad & Tobago)
- Marian van Huis, Co Chair (Netherlands)
- Karen Guilliland, Regulation Representative
- Deborah Davis, Research Representative
- Mieke Embo, Education Representative
- Andari Wuri Astuti, Host Association Representative
- Atf Gherissi, Co-opted Member
- Sally Pairman, Chief Executive