Technical Midwife Adviser (full-time)
To facilitate its global work, ICM is recruiting a highly motivated self-driven Technical Midwife Adviser to join the team at its headquarters in The Hague, The Netherlands.
The primary responsibilities of the Technical Midwife Adviser will be to provide technical support and advice on maternal, new born and child health and midwifery issues; contribute to the capacity building of Member Associations and advocacy; contribute to ICM projects and other activities at headquarters.
Description of duties
Under the guidance of the Senior Midwifery Adviser, the Technical Midwife Adviser will:
- Provide technical support to countries through the Member Associations to strengthen midwives’ influence on Maternal, New born and Child Health policy development.
- Support the implementation of programmes for capacity building and scaling up skilled care at birth.
- Work with Member Associations, to strengthen midwifery services as a strategy for the reduction of maternal and new born mortality and morbidity.
- Facilitate the implementation and integration of global guidelines into national Maternal New born and Child Health services including global standards for midwifery education and regulation, and essential competencies for basic midwifery practice.
- Utilise evidence based approaches to support Midwifery Associations.
- Collect data and systematically analyse country experiences.
- Liaise with stakeholders and partners on project related activities.
- Produce progress reports for the Chief Executive and/or ICM Board as appropriate.
- Support project implementation within budget, monitoring and evaluation in project countries.
- Contribute to the development of global guidelines and represent the Confederation in some global technical consultative meetings as required.
Education and experience
- Educated at graduate level and a minimum of 5 years experience in midwifery/maternal and child health. A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an advantage.
- Experience in developing workshop materials, coaching and mentoring, planning and facilitating workshops.
- Knowledge and experience of research methodologies and education programmes.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment, among partners and colleagues and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent command of English both verbal and written. French and/or Spanish an asset.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to integrate well in a busy, friendly multi-cultural environment.
ICM Headquarters, The Hague, the Netherlands. Duties may include occasional international and regional travel.
Initial one-year contract, with possibility of extension based upon satisfactory performance review and funding availability. Full time (37.5 hours/week)
Applications and informal enquiries may be submitted in English to Senior Midwifery Advisor on firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Friday, 25th October 2013 (Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted).